Can you build a sturdy house that is safe from the big, bad wolf?
Imagine your dream car. What special features does it have? What can you use to create it?
Teaching and learning STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) is more accessible than ever before! Children will be inspired, delighted, and challenged as they use everyday materials and STEM concepts to design and build solutions to problems faced by characters in their favorite books. This practical, hands-on resource includes
• 25 engineering design challenges appropriate for children ages 3–8
• Suggestions for creating a makerspace environment where children can tinker with materials, use tools to make creations, and improve on their ideas
• A list of 100 picture books that encourage STEM-rich exploration and learning
• Questions and ideas for expanding children’s understanding of STEM concepts
• A planning template so you can create your own design challenges
Use engaging children’s books together with the guidance and ideas in this book to extend children’s problem-solving skills and creative thinking.